Saturday 13 August 2016

Warm-Up Sketches

Over the last couple of weeks I've had a little time to loosen up a bit before work, and with DC's Suicide Squad recently released I figured I'd have a bash at sketching Harley and the Joker (older versions, I don't care too much for the modern ones). Well, it seemed apt to keep on with a few more DC villains, so I ended up tackling Amanda Waller, Sinestro, Grundy and Poison Ivy.

Tried to keep to 30min each, but Grundy and Ivy went over by maybe 5 or 10 as I tried to find the right pose to convey what I wanted from each.







I've got a few thoughts on costume and character design, particularly for women depicted in comic and fantasy art, but I want to sit and develop those thoughts a bit more before I write anything substantial. I'm fascinated particularly by the language of big, simple shapes and colours, and how this plays out perhaps more overtly with comic characters than anywhere else.

I'm not sure there'll be any more of these kinds of sketches for a while, as I've got quite a bit on my plate right now with the Ludlow Art Society's 70th Anniversary Summer Exhibition coming up in just a couple of weeks, but maybe after? If something new hasn't taken my attention, that is...

Thanks for looking!

No comments:

Post a Comment