Saturday 4 February 2017

My LAS Talk, 'Telling Tales - Narrative in Illustration'

I was booked to give the first talk of the year for the Ludlow Art Society's 2017 events programme, and I decided to bring a presentation on 'Narrative in Illustration'. The idea was to talk about the various aspects of illustration, using both my own work and some historical examples, to go into some detail about how story can best be conveyed in a visual medium when considering angles such as character silhouettes, camera tilt, the general atmosphere, facial expressions, the compositional structure suggested by the dimensions of the frame (and whether one panel is the best solution for the particular story you're trying to tell, with images of how multi-panel images have been used by various cultures), and a lot more besides! It's a pretty colossal topic, and in all honesty I only scratched the surface.

I think it was well received, though, with an unusually packed room on a grim and damp February evening.

I'd like to go back to the drawing board with this, see if it can be worked into an article, or maybe just refined as a talk to be given again, elsewhere.

It was also notable for me as it was the last full LAS evening meeting in my term as Chairman - the next one is our AGM, and halfway through that I will be stepping aside as my term is over, the meeting being concluded by John Jarvis, the next Chairman.

LAS Committee member Anne Fox was kind enough to take some pictures of my talk:








No comments:

Post a Comment